The Ground Safety for Marines (GSM) course provides instruction on basic concepts/techniques for managing unit-level Marine Corps Safety and Occupational Health programs, hazard identification and controls, and conducting unit safety inspections. The course includes an introduction to the Marine Corps Safety Program and OSHA; application of OSHA General Industry standards (29 CFR 1910); personal protective equipment (PPE); hazard recognition and mitigation; risk management; unit safety inspections; mishap investigation fundamentals; and mishap reporting procedures.
Target Audience: The target population for GSM includes USMC/USN E-6 to E-8 and O-1 to O-5 or GS civilian equivalent, command Ground Safety Officers / Ground Safety Specialists appointed in writing. All personnel must have at least 12 months remaining in their billet from the course completion date.
Registration Information: The GSM course is conducted at the six (6) Installation Safety Offices (GSM Schoolhouses) listed below. The GSM schedule is located in the Registrar Module of MCTIMS. Contact the GSM Course Manager by phone to obtain their email address.
- MCB Quantico - Course Manager (703) 432-1127
- MCB Camp Lejeune - Course Manager (910) 546-7263
- MCB Camp Pendleton - Course Manager (760) 725-7326
- MARFORRES (New Orleans) - Course Manager (504) 697-8167
- MCB Hawaii (Kaneohe Bay) - Course Manager (808) 257-1830
- MCB Japan (Okinawa) - Course Manager (312) 645-2651
Email the following information to the GSM schoolhouse Course Manager to register:
- EDIPI / Last 4 of SSN
- Billet Assigned (must have written appointment letter)
- Location (Command)
- Contact Information (Address, Phone, Email)
- Rotation Date (must have at least one year remaining in billet upon completion of GSM class)