Courtesy of the USMC Safety & Occupational Health Branch, the following tools and resources have been made available to facilitate proper and effective safety practices throughout the Corps. They were designed for incorporation into organization duty binders, mishap action plans, and safety turnover binders.
- DON vs OSHA Reportable Mishaps and Hazards A quick reference guide for safety personnel comparing OSHA reporting requirements to DOD and DON mishap reporting requirements.
- High Potential Mishaps (HIPOM) A quick reference guide for commanders and their safety personnel which describes specific on-duty mishaps meeting the classification of First Aid, Class-D and Class-C that deserve the same level of scrutiny as a formal mishap investigation board to ensure the hazardous factors are controlled or eliminated to prevent the probability of a more catastrophic mishap.
- USMC Mishap Reporting Process Map A flow chart for commanders and their safety personnel mapping the mishap and hazard reporting process as well as the non-safety event reporting process.
Mishap Reporting Quick Reference Sheets:
- Aviation Mishap Classification and Reporting Requirements
A quick reference to determine the classification of an aviation mishap and the timeline of reporting requirements pertaining to each.
- DON Mishap Classification Matrix
A quick reference to determine the classification of mishaps as defined by the DoDI 6055.07 and OPNAVINST 5102.1D/MCO P5102.1B.
- Is this a Navy-Marine Corps Mishap?
A quick reference guide that describes which type of events are considered mishaps of concern by Navy and Marine Corps Commanders.
- DON Mishap and Hazard Reporting Matrix
A quick reference guide for safety personnel to determine which safety related reports are required for specific types and classifications of mishaps and near mishaps.
- Types of Safety-Related Reports
A quick reference guide for Command staff personnel to determine which reports are required for specific types of mishaps and non-mishaps. Includes suspense times, method of reporting, action office and references.