GEICO Military Service Award
To recognize noteworthy contributions by those who serve the civilian and military community as well as their country.
- Any Active Duty, Reserve or National Guard component enlisted member with at least one year of retainability/obligated service as of 30 April is eligible.
- Previous recipients are ineligible.
- The achievements or contributions may be made in the following areas:
- Drug and alcohol abuse prevention
- Fire safety and fire prevention
- Traffic safety and accident prevention
Selections are based primarily on voluntary or collateral/additional duty, individual contributions or noteworthy accomplishments made in one or more of the areas of endeavor while serving on Active Duty or in the National Guard/Reserve components. Contributions/Accomplishment for which nominations are based may span several prior years, may be ongoing, or may have been accomplished completely in the prior year.
Requirements for Submission
Nomination packages shall consist of the following:
- A typewritten page, single-spaced, containing the full name, grade, duty title, organization of assignment, office symbol, duty location, official and personal mailing and e-mail addresses, official and home telephone numbers of the nominee, including a brief biographical sketch to include family, military history, and both Military and Civilian education and awards.
- A write-up describing the specific achievement(s) or service(s) for which the member is being nominated and relate how these contributions and accomplishments have benefited the Military or Civilian community. Off duty volunteer activities and collateral/additional duties should primarily be cited.
- The name, telephone number, Military address, and Military e-mail address of Military point of contact (unit commander, etc.)
- A high resolution, digital photo with head and shoulders view of the nominee in service dress uniform WITHOUT cover/headgear.
- A letter of endorsement from the highest Military authority on the assigned installation or the first O-6 commander in the chain of command.
- Individual units may nominate according to their service's established procedures, i.e., their Awards Branch, Safety Center, etc. The nomination packages are due to GEICO no later than 01 December each year. GEICO will make the final selections and notify each Service of their respective recipient in January. One overall recipient will be selected for each Service and one representing the National Guard or Reserve components.
- Submit materials in one package consisting of not more than three pages to the following address:
Gunnery Sergeant Raphael Montgomery
CMC Safety Division (SD)
701 S. Courthouse Road, Bldg. 12
Arlington, VA 22204-2462
Phone: (703) 604-4463
Recognition of Recipients
- The awards honor one enlisted member from each of the five Armed Services, and one member from the National Guard or Reserve for their achievements and contributions for the good of the Civilian and/or Military community.
- The Six recipients are recognized at a special awards ceremony held in April each year in Washington, DC.
- Recipients receive a plaque to commemorate their accomplishments, as well as a cash honorarium of $2,500 from the GEICO Philanthropic Foundation.
- GEICO also provides round trip costs for transportation and lodging for each recipient and a guest.